[CAUT] Polishing Agraffes ... enjoying the discussion!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Sep 30 20:58:23 MDT 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 3:48 PM, PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/30/2009 4:22:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time, amccoy at ewu.edu
>  writes:
> Your results may vary.
>
> Wow, they sure may.
>
> We have a lot of pictures of the results of using differing tools on
> the inside of the agraffe. The countersink tool creates a very rough
> surface because of uncontrollable chatter.

	Well, I know it borders on heresy, but I am a well known heretic
anyway, so I am going to ask the question: at what point in treatment
of agraffes does one get beyond what really matters? How perfect is
perfect enough? Is there an actual, perceptible sonic result from this
microscopically visible chatter caused by a carefully used
countersink? I grant the polished profile from various recommended
treatments looks wonderful, and probably is an ideal to aim at. But
how much time is it really worth? After all, the capo is probably more
pitted and scratched, looked at through a microscope, than a badly
chattered agraffe hole. And those terminations are far more critical,
it seems to me.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico