[CAUT] When to restring...

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Aug 3 13:02:30 MDT 2010

Thanks, Jim

This piano has not had a string breaking problem, but probably the nasty
work from the get go and has had false beats, etc, from day one. (or two)
I've restrung a few with existing tuning pins, and yes, it's a big pain.
The block is good, so I may bite the bullet and do just that, but I hate
the chore. while strings are out, I will also resurface the capo bar, as
that also has good results on false beats....or at least tone clarity.

I've been avoiding Steinway factory hammers on my projects, as I love the
Able Naturals, but I might try them on this one. I learned quite a bit
from Kent Webb last fall in NY and feel a smidge more sure of trying them.
 I've heard so many ups and downs of S&S hammers, though, that I'm still a
bit nervous.

Paul R.J, if you're out there, I missed your hints on refurbishing
agraffes! Please advise if you can!

Back to Jim:  You say you restring just the upper two sections more often?
When do you make the call on this?  I can think of several that might
deserve this.  I just veer away from not doing the whole thing unless
really necessary.  What criteria do you use for this type of job? It's
true that just the upper sections suck while the middle and bass are
fairly decent on practice rooms and such.

This piano will probably deserve to get the whole string deal if I go
forth.

Feed me Feed me!!
Paul