[CAUT] When to restring...

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 15:27:58 MDT 2010

When it either renders poorly, is breaking strings, has bridge and capo
deterioration, sounds like crap even with new hammers (assuming reasonable
soundboard health).

My approach is to never leave anything undone that I might regret later.
All full restringing jobs get plate removal; examination of the pinblock
(not always replacement if I can limit the size increase to 3.5s or
lo-torque 4s); resurfacing, pinning, notching of the bridge (and often
recapping of capo section); new agraffes (I like to replace rather than
recondition for various reasons); reshaped capo bar, new WNG perimeter bolts
(adjustable).  Cosmetics on the soundboard and plate will depend on
condition and age and how clean I get things to come apart.  On older pianos
if I strip the board I put a coat of epoxy on it to stiffen it-never met one
that didn't benefit from it).  I always replace the cardboard/felt piece in
the tenor section with a length of brass half round.   I always analyze the
scaling.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com