[CAUT] When to restring...

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 15:57:43 MDT 2010

In a message dated 8/5/2010 4:24:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
tannertuner at bellsouth.net writes:

Don't we  all pretty much agree that the extra polishing to the agraffe is
rendered null as soon as the new wire is pulled to tension with the wire
serving as a burnisher of sorts and distorting the new beautiful work just
performed?
As much as we all agree that, as soon as a wire is rendered under tension
under the capo that the "perfect" contour erodes. So why bother at all,
Jeff? My  answer is, and always has been, that if we don't start from as close
to a  perfect condition, knowing that it will degrade, how will we know how
it might  sound. I don't for a moment think you are arguing lack of quality,
but we spend  inordinate amounts of time on bridges, and tuning
temperaments, knowing that  they'll degrade almost as, and as soon as, we finish them.

Paul