[CAUT] When to restring...

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 20:51:47 MDT 2010

In a message dated 8/5/2010 9:16:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
tannertuner at bellsouth.net writes:

My line of thinking is that as the string is pulled to tension, then
subsequently slid back and forth with changes in humidity and tuning motion,  it
will before the piano can be delivered create the same wire  burnished
chamfer (is that the word I'm looking for?)  into the brass, whether it has been
polished or not. In other words,  the other 357 degrees of the hole will
remain either  beautifully dressed or not, but the 1mm of agraffe hole that the
 string rides in will be the same either way.

There are originally, in most cases, two contact points of the wire in the
un-radiused agraffe, one tight at the counterbearing side, and the other
intermittent in the singing length because of wire bend. Fully radiused, the
wire will contact the shape of the radius throughout its excursion through
the  agraffe. Of course it will bite into the brass under tension, but it's
only one  contact instead of two.

Since manufacturers don't see the cost benefit of bothering  with the
process, and the newly produced instruments are regarded by  artists as as good
as exist anywhere, it just seems to be a process that falls  into the
diminishing rate of returns category.

Two categories of judgment which are as questionable for reliability as
many others.

Further, I can't imagine we ever dress capos to that level of  perfection
(being cast iron rather than brass), and they would seem more  important than
the agraffe.

Interesting call.

But that's my perception. Not that it isn't a good idea that really  looks
professional when done.

If you would hear the difference, you would recognize that this not a
cosmetic process. It wouldn't be worth it for that.

We've debated this before. I have to say, even of the crappiest  agraffes
I've pulled out of pianos, tone wasn't necessarily a problem where  you could
say, "this one sounds like a bad agraffe."

It's just another small contribution to the whole, Jeff. I'll say again, as
 I have many times, I have nothing to gain here by being responsive. We'd
be  idiots to try to sell something related to this. But the tonal difference
is  audible and (becoming more) measurable.

Paul

Jeff