[CAUT] When to Restring..changing to agraffes

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee at humboldt1.com
Sat Aug 7 15:19:35 MDT 2010

Agraff and capo problems can be corrected at least temporarily by
string manipulation with special readily made tools.
	I found especially on high tension scales that even clean strings can
wear/indent/burnish enough of an aberration to the ideal agraff
interior that a gripping effect from more than minimal contact will
cause the string to resist rendering smoothly or even at all.  I dealt
mainly with  S&S B’s from ‘04 to pre forties then two D’s and an M in
the 60’s, the other pianos lacked enough musicality to warrant deep
attention until four M&H’s which came with their own peculiar problems
being made just prior to American closing.
	If the indent is much deeper such as even 25 degrees around the
string than the minimal grabbing it will look like a distinct groove
and this at the lessened diameter of the stretched string. A tool made
of at least one string size (preferably 2 or 3 sizes of the original
size, four to six inches long and allowed to curve to c. 3-5” radius
and scored by rolling a new fine rattail mill file on the inner 180
degrees of the curved wire, and then with the string out of the agraff
the tool placed into the agraff hole and with grippers at both ends,
rag the grove until the original groove is replaced by the wider
groove, The hole being elongated vertically  does not widen the hole
to weaken the agraff to break at the holes. I have not had any agraff
break at the holes.
	This will make uneven in height that hole with the others in the
agraff and will have to be measured and corrected before restringing
that agraff unless equal treatment is given the remaining holes.  Any
number of tools can be made to show the relative height of the holes,
Having just moved to a new home the example cannot be found to be
shown in use.
	A prime reason for redoing parts of the piano is restoration of a
collectable and also not running into the meriad chores doing new
aggrafs.
	The capo on the other hand unhardened can be subject to  the same
grooving which can be negated by sliding the unison sideways with a
tool made of strap steel 1/8”x1/2”-5/16” with three string grooves
sawed into the end and long enough to hold and with a hammer tapping
the tool close to the rib to slide the strings sideways and back.
	If either the agraff or capo are so soft as to create from any action
a feather edge on the sounding side a burnishing action may solve the
problem; Loosen the string to be able to raise the string about 4-5”
out from the bearing and about 2-3” high and sweeping the the raised
loop in an arc of 90-100 degrees to burnish the offending edge. The
string hook for lifting the string should have a large enough radius
to prevent kinking the string. The string becomes the tool to burnish
the bearing.  I prefer the softer capo edge for serviceability because
the casehardening of the edge may bring the hardness of the two
elements to equality which in engineering is tantamount to friction
problems. One metal of a friction pair must be softer to be
lubricious. Also I am afraid that any part of the string system being
harder than the string causes the string to be subject to the
distortion.