[CAUT] Agraffes - was When to restring...

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 8 10:01:16 MDT 2010

An interesting complication:

I sawed an arbitrary selection of old takeout agraffes apart
yesterday to see what I could see. So far, they all looked
much like the first one. A one contact point track that was
scored much more coarsely than it seems to me it should have
been from a polished steel wire. Perhaps dust accumulation
adds grit.

One thing that strikes me as interesting and relevant is the
different hardness of brass used in different sets. Some were
quite hard and resistant to sawing. Others cut very easily. I
sawed a new Pianotek agraffe apart while I was at it. It was
of the harder brass, and had a quite decent interior profile.
At least I think so. This may be why I haven't experienced
problems with these.

So I suppose it's like virtually everything else. Polish or
don't polish, as you see fit and find necessary.

Ron N