[CAUT] Sostenuto Trap Lever Repair

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Wed Aug 11 10:04:26 MDT 2010

Tom:  Sincere thanks for the terrific explanations, provided with great
clarity & detail.  I now know exactly how to proceed.

Yes, this is the second lever.  As for why the lever failed...well, this
piano endured 40 years in the Chapel at Howard University, a Historically
Black University, unlocked after a few years of protection when it was new,
and was used for gospel choir rehearsals, regular church services, funerals
and weddings, student practice on a whim during the day and night, etc.  In
sum, it was beat to death!  I've never seen hammers with such wear!  Never
seen teflon action centers so loose!  Or key mortises so BIG!  Or key sides
or fallboard gouged so deeply.  Bent pedal rods, even a bent damper pedal.
And a couple cracked keysticks.

The piano has now been moved to the 110-seat recital hall, a strictly
controlled environment, and the piano will therefore no longer be exposed to
abuse or neglect.  I'm resurrecting it without full rebuild, just new
Steinway hammers/s/f and lots of repairs.  This is our only potentially
concert-level instrument within the Department of Music at this time, so
that's why I'm trying to save it.  Hopefully someday it will be fully
rebuilt.  In the meantime, my goal is to bring it up to at least a nominally
acceptable university performance level.  Wish me luck!

I am intrigued by your idea of relocating the stop felt, thereby protecting
things from excess load.  I probably won't do that, since I've got a million
other things to do before placement auditions next week, but will certainly
file it away for future reference.

Thanks again,
Paul
--