[CAUT] U. of Northern Iowa position

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 17:58:41 MDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> certainly wouldn't change your mind. But I prefer not to leave the bandwidth
> overloaded with your opinion, so I will present some reasons why a music
> degree may well be a help in our profession (as cauts).
>         I will note first that N Iowa was not adamant, and offered a few
> alternatives, including high school diploma plus 6 years experience. I will
> also note that many job descriptions include this qualification as at least
> a plus, if not a requirement. That fact might lead one to suspect that there
> were practical reasons for including it.
>        A music department or music school is a complex place to work. There
> are all these different rooms with different functions. There are a lot of
> different faculty with their own studios. There are class rooms, rehearsal
> halls, recording studios, practice rooms of various sorts. How does one have
> a clue how to set priorities? Well, if one has some knowledge of the
> workings of a music department by having been a student, a lot of the
> mystery disappears. It is clear what function is played by the piano in
> these various rooms, and so one can work accordingly.
>        Musicians are an interesting set of people. They have their own set
> of needs, and what they focus on is not what most people in other walks of
> life focus on. In order to be able to understand, communicate with, get
> along with this set of people, it is very useful to have had the same sort
> of experiences. The experience of working toward mastery of an instrument,
> of attempting public performance, even at a fairly basic level, is
> invaluable in coming to some sort of empathy.
>        The college degree in general is certainly not ideal in all cases,
> but it does count for a number of things. It means that the holder of the
> degree is capable of being somewhat articulate, of pursuing and completing
> intellectual tasks satisfactorily, and has a general "liberal" knowledge of
> the intellectual background of western civilization, perhaps of other
> enriching areas as well. A music degree means a knowledge and appreciation
> of a range of western music and its associated history. These factors make
> it much more possible to communicate and function in harmony with music
> professors. They also make it far more likely that written reports and
> proposals will be written in such a way as to be influential and useful.
>        I could go on, but that is probably enough for this time. I think
> the requirement or preference is very well justified. It is quite possible
> to have piano technical skills that might be to the very highest of
> standards, yet the holder of those skills would be unable to function well
> in this particular environment. Clearly a high level of piano technical
> skills is necessary in any case, to be successful.
>
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> fssturm at unm.edu
> "I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."

Fred,
I usually agree with most of what you have to say & I have come to respect
my friend Jeff & his opinions.

On this subject I beieve I have to agree with Jeff.

Having said that I must p[oint out that you, Fred, in many ways, made Jeff's
point.
 Quote:
[...]

I believe the above could easily apply to any thinking person persuing
something such as being a Piano Technician. All of the above describes
everything we do, I believe you can agree that techs focus on things most
other people don't that we "get along" with musicians of all sorts,
communicate & understand them. We also "perform" publicly every day in all
sorts of venues.

As for an appreciation of western music, I tune for a 7th day Adventist
school, the treasurer owns & operates his own metal fabricating shop next to
it & he is a devotee of classical music, we always have an interesting
discussion about what he's listening to that day even though he & I have no
college training in music. Lastly if explaining how an action works to a
novice or a musician isn't being articulate, I don't know what is! I
understand your meaning about being articulate but I believe that comes from
nurture as much as from college. I worked for a guy with a degree who always
wanted to take "pitchers" of everything, meaning photographs, just one of
his many ways of butchering the english language.

I sang in the choir in high school & took shop from 7th grade through my
senior year. My only college credits are those earned by taking my
tuning/tech classes.
My woodworking skills have come in handy over the years & not being a
pianist has made me try harder to please.

I don't need to understand musicians or why they want to do something, I
just need to know when when they need it by!
Do you need a music degree to be a tech at a University?

I thnk not, as Jeff said, perhaps a business degree, I might add a minor
in Workplace politics! (g)

Mike

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

    Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service