[CAUT] music degree for cauts

Brent Fischer brent.fischer at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 15 14:22:05 MDT 2010

Dear list,
It's been some time since I have chimed in, however aftera four year medical hiatus and with an implant in my usuallyempty brain, I now live with a tinnitus level so reduced that Iam back to work.  The question of a mandatory degree for cautshas certainly raised a few voices here so I will tread with someexpectation of ambivalence.  I think it is crucial that one has college experience for a numberof rudimentary reasons but the necessity of it being a musicdegree is invalid. My two year
 degree in forestry and woodscience has been more valuable to me than a compositionclass could have ever been, however, a backgroundin higher education, no matter in what area, is what gives a person some essential knowledge of collegiate expectations.I think from seeing so many techs struggle to find middleC that four years of piano during childhood would serve one the best in our profession. A few centuries ago, when some weretaking 300 level music classes I was apprenticing, and whileat age twenty-two when many were renting their grad robes I wasgraduating from the Newton Hunt school of PTG exams, tobecome a registered craftsman. That path opened many doorsthat a music degree would never have, so I say some collegeshould be required but no B.A. in Music. My two
 cents.Incidentally, faculty is usually respectful and appreciativeof our own artistry, but don't kid yourself, they don't hang theirdoctoral degrees on the wall for the janitors to look at.