[CAUT] Steinway Pedal Lyre Regulation After Reconditioning

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Mon Aug 16 09:37:20 MDT 2010

Ed wrote: ³When the damper pedal is set to lift the dampers almost as high
as the keys, and the upstop rail is set to touch the underlevers when they
are lifted by the key end felts, you will find an increased amount of travel
in the underlevers when the pedal is not employed.²

Ed:  Thank you very much for the detailed and interesting explanations.  I
understand everything you said except the above statement.  I don¹t see
where there is ³increased amount of travel.²  In either case, the
underlevers move from their rest position (which is not on the tray) to the
end of travel ‹ either with the key or slightly less with the tray.  How
does not having the pedal depressed increase the distance the underlever
travels?  I understand that the amount the underlever travels in contact
with the key end will be quite small when the pedal is already depressed,
but what does that matter?  If I understand you correctly, I do agree that
if the lift with tray is set to be significantly less than that with the
key, you will feel the contact point when playing.  I also understand and
agree that it is very important to minimize the lost motion in the damper
pedal (i.e., the distance between the tray and the underlevers).  Many miss
this point, and it has a significant impact on your sense of control when
pedaling.

By the way, I have checked all contact points for ³extra² felt shims, etc.
I¹m at bare bones on this one.  Since all 3 pedal rods are too long, and
only since I reconditioned the lyre, I have now concluded it is because the
pedal rest cushions are thicker than what was previously there, so I will be
cutting the rods later today.
--
Paul Milesi, RPT
Staff Piano Technician