[CAUT] bursting at the seams

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 14:42:36 MDT 2010

> Thu, 19 Aug 2010 21:44:01 -0600 From: Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
>
> On Aug 19, 2010, at 9:16 PM, Israel Stein wrote:
>

>> First we followed the same "do more with less" as you are now
>> attempting to do
>>

> 	Interestingly, I am lucky enough to be in a position to do more with
> more, because I am (ie piano service is) entirely supported by course
> fees, which rise as enrollment rises. The faculty may face some form
> of furlough (perhaps a pay cut balanced by some number of non-work
> days - applied students would likely get one or two fewer lessons,
> classes would meet one or two fewer days, that sort of thing). Part
> time adjunct faculty will likely be reduced if not eliminated. But I
> would probably not be affected.
Fred,

I hope your situation remains safe. But the "fee supported" model is not
an absolute guarantee of anything. This is what we had here at SFSU for
many years - dedicated student fees that went into a fund for instrument
upkeep (pianos included). But when the big cuts hit, somebody discovered
these dedicated funds and they were merged back into the general budget
- and so we had to go begging for upkeep funding, even thought students
were paying fees specifically for that purpose.

Furthermore, the School of Music and Dance had always run a healthy
surplus - because we had independent income from concert admissions and
extensive donations from alumni and other supporters. The Director
showed me the numbers last year - had we been allowed to keep this
money, we would have been able to continue operating at the former level
even with the cut in State funding. But the Dean of the College of
Creative Arts decided to distribute all the surpluses among all the
schools in the College (Theater Arts, Fine Arts, Broadcast and
Electronic Communications, Industrial Design, etc.) some of which were
running at huge deficits. My point is that no dedicated funding source -
even that generated by the program itself - is safe in a time of
continuing funding cuts. When things get bad enough, the "higher ups"
start looking for money wherever they can find it, and using it
according to their priorities. And we all know what position piano
service and maintenance occupies on the list of higher-up University
administrators' priorities...

So I really hope, Fred, that things in New Mexico don't deteriorate much
further. But then, from the 7 years I spent living there, I have the
impression that New Mexico politicians are quite a bit more sensible
than those elsewhere and are quite experienced at operating in tight
economic circumstances (which has been the rule - rather than the
exception - throughout the State's history)...

Israel Stein