[CAUT] Down Weight Too High With New Hammers

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Wed Aug 25 11:56:40 MDT 2010

Thanks, Israel.  Interesting info.

BTW, this piano I¹m working on is D #420394 (1971).  The D you said you have
data on (#418477) is very close in vintage, and the data therefore might
prove interesting when compared.
--
Paul Milesi
Registered Piano Technician (RPT)
E-mail:  paul at pmpiano.com
Website:  http://www.pmpiano.com

From: Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:08:46 +0000 (UTC)
To: <caut at ptg.org>
Subject: [CAUT] Down Weight Too High With New Hammers

Paul,

There is no need to guess about friction - there is an easy way to tell what
the total friction is in a particular key. Subtract the upweight from the
downweight and divide by 2. That's your total friction. If it is above 15
gm., that's too much. If it's below 10 gm., that's too little.

If the problem is friction, and all the usual culprits have been taken care
of (keypins, flange bushings, capstan polishing, etc.) your excess friction
is could be in the capstan/wippen interface. This is where the whippen to
capstan angle can make a big difference.

If the problem is parts weight, Fred's advice to reduce the hammers will
work to a point. If we say that your action ratio is around  1:5+ or so,
reducing one gram at the hammer will reduce the weight by the 5+ grams at
the key. It's pretty hard to lose more than 1 gram at the hammer...

We here at SFSU have partially "rebuilt" about 6 Steinway actions of all
vintages with whatever wippens are available. We get used wippens from a
local rebuilder and recondition them - because new ones just aren't in the
budget. I have several times used various sample parts kits and whatever
spare parts I have lying around to run comparisons, and different parts
combinations (including the knuckle positions) make noticeable touchweight
differences. I think I have some data here in the office somewhere... Ah
yes, here it is. Now let's see if I can interpret what I wrote down years
ago...

I have data for 3 pianos, but only one of them has the parts names (all the
other ones are notated in Renner parts numbers - and I don't have a catalog
or a parts list here at school). So let's start with the Steinway L serial
#430355 (can someone look up the date and the parts vintage?) Notation is
downweight/upweight, friction.

Original parts: 58/31, 13.5
Steinway NY Improved wippen with original shank  53/29, 12
Steinway NY Improved wippen with Steinway NY Improved shank 49/28, 10.5
Original wippen with Renner Hamburg style shank (17 mm. knuckle) 48/32, 8.
Steinway NY Improved wippen with Renner Hamburg style shank (17 mm. knuckle)
46/26, 10.
Renner Hamburg wippen with Renner Hamburg style shank (17 mm. knuckle)
48/29, 9.5
Renner Hamburg wippen with original shank 55/32 11.5

All the shank were pinned at a more-or-less equivalent friction. I'll take
the data home and I'll try to post the data for the other pianos identifying
the parts used in the experiments. I have data for Steinway M #343357 and
Steinway D #418477

Israel Stein

Original pa

>Tue, 24 Aug 2010 01:51:32 -0400 From: "Paul Milesi, RPT" <paul at pmpiano.com>

>Thanks, Fred, for this reply.  Your first paragraph states quite clearly
what my intuition was telling me so far as the implications of DW and UP
insofar as it being more of a relative weight issue (keys/hammers) and
possibly small geometry changes that make old and new parts not quite
compatible.  I also recognized that rep springs are not in play prior to
let-off, which is why I stated in my first post that I didn't think that was
the source of the problem.  I feel a "heaviness" in my hands/fingers when I
touch the piano, and as a pianist I just know it's not right.  The
measurements of course bear this out.

>Having said that, I don't rule out friction, and as time permits over the
next few days I will re-examine critical interfaces using the very helpful
input others have offered here.

>I have also just located 2 NYI Steinway repetitions from the last set I put
on an M, and am anxious to take them to the school and compare them with the
older ones on the D, see what's up.  Installing them side-by-side might
yield some interesting comparisons, if everything else is equal.

>Thanks, everyone, for your input.  I'll keep you apprised in the days ahead.
I won't have a large block of time for this piano for at least a couple days
now, so there's time to mull things over, try a thing or two, etc.
--
>Paul Milesi, RPT
Staff Piano Technician
Howard University Department of Music