[CAUT] Down Weight Too High With New Hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Aug 25 21:14:37 MDT 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 9:08 PM, Brent Fischer wrote:

>   I just unpacked 4 sets of bearings fresh off production.
> For some reason they keep sending me these parts
> that have a 3 degree hole  tilted away from the "black line."

	Curious. Are Steinway balance pins installed at a 3 degree angle? I
haven't noticed, but I also haven't checked. I _have_ noticed on
occasion that the holes in some of the half rounds weren't square,
which is why reversing them would change key level. But I hadn't
noticed a consistent pattern. I assumed it was just inconsistency in
manufacture.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain