[CAUT] Fortepiano

Adkins, Richard radkins at coe.edu
Fri Aug 27 13:40:27 MDT 2010

Ed,

Modern copies of pianos of the Graf forte piano  are also available. These
would
have Viennese action, and a few extra pedals! They are pricey!

http://www.harpsichord.com/List/list_frmset.html  is a good source for
used and reconditioned forte pianos. Some are antiques and others are
copies.

The Poletti currently listed looks very nice.

I've tuned one that was trucked across country from Wyoming w/no action
problems.

It's been here 2 times and  taken on a small tour via a mini-van
on a couple of occassions in Iowa with the Cedar Cedar Chamber Ensemble.

You can sort of get an idea of the Poletti sound from the clips

http://www.redcedar.org/soundstudio.html#hummel.html

I think the workmanship on the Poletti looked mighty fine. I had no problems
with the action. The strings were getting
old and one treble string did break prior to a concert. I had no problems
for the recording sessions in a cold church
that fall.

Rumor had it that the owner of the Poletti on this recording might want to
sell it, but I cannot confirm that.
I could give you email privately if you want to inquire, but Harpsichord
clearing house has one.
You might want to steer clear of the historical pianos, even if restored,
but that's up to you. I just don't
know how stable those pianos would be.

A pianist, Kenneth from U of Illinois used to tour with his Broadwood. He
put out some LP of Beethoven Sonatas.
He had to keep his pianos under plastic cover w/humidifier for stability
during his tours.
Later on, he toured with a modern copy of a fortepiano.
Poletti Fortepianos are not cheap, though, even used!

Richard Adkins
Coe College