[CAUT] Hailun & Suzuki vs. Yamaha

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Aug 29 18:02:05 MDT 2010

On Aug 29, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Israel Stein wrote:

> I don't know, but maybe this is where we here at SFSU have had it
> easy. The last time we purchased pianos (about 5 years ago) we
> simply got bids on Yamaha P-22's from three different dealers, and
> went with the lowest bid. As long as there are multiple bids and we
> take the lowest one - "purchasing" is satisfied that the mandated
> procedures have been followed.

In large metropolitan areas, this can work. In NM, we have usually
three local dealers bidding, each with different lines. It is possible
to solicit a direct bid from a manufacturer or distributor, but the
purchasing folks are happier if we use local vendors (and purchasing
rules tend to favor the locals, when you get into the nitty gritty).
It would certainly make my life simpler if I could decide to purchase
4 P-22s and 2 U-1s, or 4 UST-7s and 2 K-whatevers, or the equivalent
Hailuns or Sauters or Knabes. But I can't.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel