[CAUT] F..riction

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Dec 1 19:14:09 MST 2010

On 12/1/2010 4:58 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:
> They say it should be in the 10 gram or less vicinity if memory
> serves. Much of that is friction of the jack against the knuckle. If
> there is too much friction in flanges and too much spring tension,
> that will also come into play here. I've gone on long enough for now.

So, that's how teflon powder rubbed into the knuckles helps.

There is one thing about pinning some friction into the hammer flanges
(not going overboard, just pinning some back in ...) That is, under
normal playing conditions, the friction one introduces with all that
hand labor doesn't stay constant for long at all. It's constantly
decreasing as the piano is used, in my experience.

I also imagine, though without experience to back it up, that the
friction in rep levers changes a lot more slowly than that in hammer
centers. Just a lot less motion and stress.

Susan