[CAUT] F..riction

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Dec 4 15:38:11 MST 2010

On Dec 4, 2010, at 2:19 PM, David Stanwood wrote:

> Fixating on making accurate down weight results in diminishing
> returns very quickly simply because down weight is never felt by the
> pianist because it never goes through let off

	The feeling through let off is certainly important, and it is
measurable. And it is measured by many if not most German techs, from
what I understand, at least as a sort of final diagnostic check. Start
with whatever weight it is that gets the key to move and go to where
the drop screw stops it, then add weight and see how much additional
it takes to go through let off. And it is interesting to see if that
total weight does, indeed, make the key go through let off from rest
(ie, you can add weight when the key is supported by the drop screw,
to see how much it takes from that point to go through let off, as the
other possibility). It usually takes a little less from rest, I guess
because of the momentum. Really pretty simple, and I think that the
"through let off" measurement is more important to the touch. Note
that it is dependent on friction and spring tension acting together.
Knuckle condition, jack alignment, drop regulation, rep spring
tension, centerpinning, all come into play.
	Leading keys based purely on DW is the real bugaboo, and it seems
that most pianos out there were/are done that way. All very "custom"
and "precise" <G>. Except that nobody (usually) has bothered to be
certain, for instance, that the key bushings are all free and nothing
is rubbing. Hence we find leading that is all over the place. I prefer
pianos that have simply been pattern leaded.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm