[CAUT] F..riction

Jon Page jonpage at pianocapecod.com
Sat Dec 4 17:00:48 MST 2010

>  Start
>with whatever weight it is that gets the key to move and go to where
>the drop screw stops it, then add weight and see how much additional
>it takes to go through let off. And it is interesting to see if that
>total weight does, indeed, make the key go through let off from rest
>(ie, you can add weight when the key is supported by the drop screw,
>to see how much it takes from that point to go through let off, as the
>other possibility).

Interesting concept, adjusting spring tension trough a Let Off criteria.

But it seems to me that if one attends to friction in the centers and
bearing points, then the factor which determines the tension in the
rep spring is the SW.

So the closer graduation the on SW, the more uniform will be the tension
in the repetition spring.

It would seem to me that a slightly heavier hammer would require a
slightly lessened spring tension to get the hammer to go through LO
than an adjacent lighter hammer and consequently repetition may be affected.

Whereas, a close SW tolerance and friction coefficient will automatically
induce a more even spring tension.

This uniformity most appreciated at pianisisimo. Where the ultimate results
of a good regulation are displayed. If you want to get someone's attention,
whisper.

Regards,

Jon Page