[CAUT] F..riction

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Dec 5 05:03:18 MST 2010

Fred writes:

>>Fooling with where in the keystroke the damper is lifted is one
thing, but what I was getting at was the possibility (even
probability) that there may be significant unevenness in both weight
and friction moving up the scale. If there are springs, they may be
set unevenly. I've never gone beyond feeling each damper in turn,
raising it with a sensitive finger, when setting the bends and
whatnot, and sometimes finding something that jumped out at me. <<

   If the tray is out, I have gotten very even results by turning it up side down and shaking it.  The underlevers are resting
on the springs, so this gives me a total resistance(friction, weight, and spring).  If I have two springs set, at either end,
it is a simple matter to adjust all the springs in between to allow an even bounce when shaken.  I am assuming no serious
friction inconsistency, but even then, the sensitive eye will notice errant behavior as the levers move up and down,
since the overly tight centers will not move the same as their neighbors.
   If in the piano, I can feel wire misalignment, but I don't think I can get the springs evenly set by feeling the
resistance alone.
regards,
Ed Foote RPT