[CAUT] strange rib damage

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 16:41:02 MST 2010

I was tuning a D at a local church. It had a dreadful sympathetic noise on one note in the mid-range. I took a look underneath to check for separating ribs and the attached photo shows what I found. This is looking above the belly rail at the front of the soundboard. This was difficult to photograph and I never did get the other side in focus, but the crack goes all the way through. I don't much understand how this could happen, but there it is. Damage that opened up over time? Anyone here have experience with similar rib damage.

I think it will be an easy fix, allowing for the fact that this is above the belly rail. But of course, I won't know for sure this is the source of the noise until after it is fixed.

Kent