[CAUT] strange rib damage

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Dec 8 17:57:54 MST 2010

It is at right angles.  The grain on the rib runs along the length of the
rib and the soundboard grain runs about 90 degrees to that.  I can't imagine
that even stepping on the soundboard in that spot (much less lying on it)
while cutting the notches would stress the rib enough to crack it given the
proximity to the belly rail and the fact that the panel shows no sign of
excessive deflection.  I would guess that the rib was cracked when it was
installed (perhaps dropped in the factory?) and the crack opened up over
time with some downbearing load and humidity swings.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com