[CAUT] damper touch weight

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Dec 10 10:09:31 MST 2010

	In an earlier post in the friction thread, I described a device I had
imagined to measure the weight of the damper as felt at the key. I had
a little time to spare between access to rooms, and put one together.
I think it took me all of ten minutes. A base about 1x4x8", a "balance
rail" scrap of 1/2" plywood, a lever about 2' long, 1/2 x 3/4" (I
think scrap from a strip used to hold hammers in place during
shipping), a couple pedal brackets, a standard .146" balance pin. I
glued a little scrap of wood on one end of the lever as a platform for
weights - not really necessary, but nice - and then drilled a hole in
the lever at the balance point. A couple drywall screws to hold the
brackets, driven in with an electric screwdriver.
	It works very nicely. I tried it out just to see what I'd find, and a
couple things jumped out at me. First, there is quite a bit of force
needed to push trichord dampers out of the strings - as much a 5 gm.
Even when trimmed nicely and precisely to the bottom of the strings
there is a significant amount, though the difference between well-
trimmed and not trimmed is noticeable, also between well-trimmed and
just shy of well-trimmed (0.5 mm below the string line). On the
concert instrument, where I have taken a fair amount of trouble to
have the dampers well-regulated in all ways, I found a range from
about 20 gm to over 30 gm top to bottom, and some zigzagging along the
way in the 5 gm range. On a B that I had replaced action parts and
damper felts on, but had only slapped the dampers in and regulated
them for lift and to be sure they damped (fine-tuning put off until
time allowed), I found much larger zigzags, 10 gms from one to its
neighbor in a quick sampling. I suspect a lot of it had to do with
some wires leaning on bushings, others not, but won't know until I
have time to look more carefully.
	Bottom line, I think this is a good thing to look at, a significant
element in the touch of a grand.

PC100011.JPG

PC100015.JPG

PC100017.JPG