[CAUT] strange rib damage

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 11 07:11:19 MST 2010

Might have been weakened when the rib was still a tree.
Consider the stress when the bridge pins were pounded in. I believe Steinway likes to bottom out the bridge pins. Perhaps enough shock to split a rib made of shake-damaged wood. (Were other ribs made from the same stock?)
Meanwhile, we don't know if the mid-range noise Kent reported has anything to do with this rib.
Ed Sutton