[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Nov 7 13:47:35 MST 2010

Hi All,

I'm listening to Rach's 3rd.  I'm not sure if there is a tougher piece to
prep for.  Pounding all the way, mostly.  Great piece! Who of you prepped
for this one??

Fortunately, I'm not doing it this year, but Rapsody in Blue is coming up
in December with the new NY hammers/shanks I mentioned a few weeks or so
ago.  I'm getting a good sound, so far, on this, but not enough "bite" to
carry over an entire orchestra.  It was pretty good for the solo doctorate
Liszt recital, but needed more bite in high and low end.

I've done some more juicing from the trouble treble to top and some in the
bass.  Now, I like it better than the mid-section, which our piano dept
chair thought was very cool.  As I play chromatically, it, sure, is pretty
good in the mid, but changes in volume drastically into the mid and top
treble, but not "pingy" (is that a term?) and I now like the middle upper
and top better than the middle!! Go figgur...back and forth, back and
forth......Where do I call it "juuuussst right?"

Now that he likes the middle...do you venture a thought that he's thinking
it was just the top and bottom he heard as so so and the rest too weak?  I
can't tell, and can't get him to come in and listen while this process in
going on.? (too busy and off on a concert tour)

I did too much voicing of a faculty Baldwin R this week who wanted it
"dark"!!  (He loves it, BTW)  I'm giving it (the Steinway) a few days out
of my ears, and will get on it next week.  I would love thoughts on this!

Now: How do you handle voicing new hammers to deal with Gershwin's RIB,
while not overdoing it? Paul Barnes is a very powerful pianist, but also
is able to squeeze out the nicest of ppp's with a good, clean piano.

What is the most powerful piece you've ever voiced/tuned for?  Just
interested, but an educational thought...

Thanks,
Paul T. Williams RPT
UNL