[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Nov 8 12:14:56 MST 2010

>> This piano has stability issues on one note in particular
>> (D#6)
>

> Is there any D where that isn't a problematic note, along with D6 and
> C#6? Susan Graham once said in a class that she had asked one of the
> Steinway guys, I forget whether it was Fred Drasche or Franz Mohr,
> about that area. The response? "Those are the breaks!" Big help.

Yeah, that's the note on ours in Corvallis which is the worst on the
whole piano. It's not just a matter of tuning stability -- I've got it
pretty stable. It's the tone of each individual string. They sort of
sound like a ceramic pot with a crack in it.

Has anyone managed to sort D#6 out on a Steinway D, and get it as good
as the notes nearby?

It seems to be close to where the bell attaches. Any causation there?

Would putting some mass in the bridge right below it help? I don't feel
free to experiment on OSU's main performance Steinway (nor would it be
acceptable to them if I tried). But if someone else had managed to
improve that note by some physical change in the piano, especially if
they had managed to do it on several Steinway D's, I could certainly
discuss it with my people.

Susan Kline