[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?/Other pianists

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Nov 8 14:33:14 MST 2010

Thanks for the kind words, Susan,

It may have been voicing isuues, but I really tried to get things as even
as the piano would let me.  I think perhaps my unisons were just not great
and I got them solid at intermission after hearing the first half!!! LOL.
He was a very kind and soft spoken man, at least with me and we got along
just fine. He had no roadies or any truck or bus or anything of the kind,
nor stayed the night after the gig!!.  After the concert, he thanks me and
the Lied staff again, got in his Camry, and drove off!!!  Go figgur!

Now Feltsman was a different story.  We did not hit it off from the first
30 seconds! His arrogance followed me like a pesky mosquito throughout his
2 day stay here.  He was never happy with anything, even after
intermission. I think it was just that he just didn't like me, nor I him.
The piano was absolutely beautiful, The Piano People (Steve) had just
re-visited for a full day of follow up on their work, and I still had to
spend an hour or two voicing what he appeared as "not right".  At
intermission, no thank you, no "nice work on the notes I asked you about",
but instead: and this was it: "D-6" didn't change!" That was it. Not
another word!

Some people are never happy with what we do, especially if they don't care
for you or you them.  I treated him as best I could and shrugged off his
bitterness; we just never hit it off. I even had to have "the chat" with
the program director from Lied about it last week, where she was there to
see what was going on between us at the pre concert stuff!  AND GET THIS:
She was disappointed with ME! I wasn't kiss-ass enough!!  BOY, did that
put me in a boil! How much kiss-ass should one have to do? I have a limit!
 Those who know me know that I am an easy going guy, who will bend over
for performers!

I have a REALLY nice list of pianists who loved my work, so I just don't
put him on my resume!! :>)

Thanks for putting up with my rant!!
Best,
Paul