[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 8 15:48:22 MST 2010

There are pianists who listen. They can hear when the piano has reached its maximum, and they know how to build sound within the capacity of the piano and auditorium. They can make a mediocre piano sound powerful.

Then, there are those who define ffff in terms of the maximum muscle power of their bodies. It can sound like they are hitting the keybed with their fist when they exceed the capacity of the piano.

Ed S.
  Susan wrote:

  But you know, I think that the piano and the pianist both have a lot more to do with how the tuning survives than the pieces played. Martina, for instance, had a tremendous dynamic range and certainly didn't hold back; but when I tuned early this afternoon after she had practiced, I realized that she just was not the kind of pianist to throw anything very far out.

  Now that I think about it, all the performances listed did not mess up the tuning much at all. I think I must be blanking out on the ones which did ...

  Susan Kline