[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Fri Nov 12 01:44:47 MST 2010

Hi,

There's been so much good stuff on this thread it's hard to know
where to start!  Some random thoughts and responses:

At 05:39 PM 11/10/2010, you wrote:
>On 11/10/2010 12:46 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:
>>Hi Susan,
>>     I checked the D#6 in our two Ds in the recital hall and one in
>> a studio this morning. The newest D (2001) had a sound that could
>> be described as you did - though I wouldn't say it was all that
>> much different from C6, C#6 and D6 - at the very top of its
>> dynamic range (above fff). The others, 1981 and 1963, had no sign
>> of anything of the sort. The newest one is voiced the brightest of
>> the three, but none of them is dull. FWIW.
>
>Thanks, Fred. If you ever wander up to our part of the world
>(Willamette Valley) I'll show it to you and see what you think.
>Lovely piano otherwise, IMO.
>
>Susan

  - This is a good place from which to start.  Obviously, there's a
great deal going on with capo stuff.  The areas noted (C6, C#6, etc)
have, I think related problems.  In addition to the more obvious
issues with the scale design, S&S has gone through a number of
periods of change in manufacturing technique (that are not
necessarily reflective of design changes, per se, but have amounted
to the same thing).  Most importantly for this discussion is that
they have gone through a number of periods of either hardening or not
hardening the capo; and, coequally important, they have used
different methods for doing so...and, of course, there isn't
necessarily a good record of what was done when, to which models,
etc.  So, it makes perfect sense to me, and it is very much my own
experience, that some instruments will have capos that are
(relatively) trouble-free and others that will simply always be
seriously problematic.  Virtually all of the pianos that I have seen
that fall into this latter group are ones on which the capo has not
been hardened.  Without taking the instrument apart, I'm not sure
that there really is a good way in which to determine this other than
by noting how often "repair" work has to be done...shaping, dressing,
polishing, etc...are all of very limited utility...the only real
"fix" is to harden the capo (and the front duplexes, if you leave
them in place at all) when the piano is disassembled for
whatever.  There are several methods for this hardening, of which the
two I've used are TIG or Gas/Acetylene flame hardening.  Both are
highly successful; and, I think, have been discussed either here or
on pianotech previously.  While open to other points of view, I'm not
convinced that the bell/nosebolt are an issue here.

  - Hand in glove with the above are the issues an octave below.  I
think I've only seen one or two new Ds in the last thirty years that
are "clean" at this point in the scale (C5, C#5, etc).  While there
are obvious things to do with the scale itself, bridge pinning, and
bridge material, I would also look at replacing the agraffes.  After
playing with this a bit, I'm pretty sure that I would go with the
electroless nickel plated agraffes (and, probably bridge pins).  I
think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, especially if
dealing with an instrument that is going to be tuned and played very
frequently.  While in this area, I think I would also find some way
in which to reduce friction across the stringing felt.

  - Thinking of less invasive ways to try to work around some of
these problems, I think Fred's suggestion to leave the last movement
headed sharp (sorry, Fred, paraphrasing) is spot on; and for the same
reasons he suggests.  Should it be necessary to do that?  Probably
not.  But, without the time and budget to make all things perfect in
this obviously best of all possible worlds...we have to compromise.

  - Ditto for Ed's thoughts about "listening" pianists.  A competent
performer will do just that.  They want to determine what the
reasonable limits are for any given instrument.  If they specialize
in Haydn and Mozart, they're probably not interested in breaking
glass in the 10th row.  If, however, they're fond of Lizst
transcriptions or, or, or, and no one has ever told them that
destroying the piano went out with the dinosaurs...welllll...that's a
whole different problem.  Without completely subverting the current
thread, I'll suggest that one of the major undiscussed problems which
we face as technicians is that many, perhaps even most, pianists get
whatever limited training as to developing tone from listening to
recordings of pianos, not from going to live concerts.  Thus, while
the simple fact is that they don't know what they don't know; and,
since they don't know it that, knowing it wouldn't help.

  - Susan Graham was quoting Freddie Drasche, who was quite cavalier
about addressing production issues in the field.  For those who may
not have known Freddie, it's important to note that he was the last
public face of S&S who had actually "done it all" in terms of working
his way up through the factory...starting before WWII.  When
"regular" production resumed after the war, things started to change
fairly quickly, and training was no longer either as long or as in
depth; and, also very important, the people coming into the factory
as new employees were (by and large) no longer third or fourth
generation cabinet makers, but were learning new trades and
skills.  (N.B., While it doesn't cover this period, Craig Roell's:
The Piano in America:1890 - 1940 is highly recommended reading.)

  - Someone mentioned "pointillistic" technique.  While I've known a
few pianists who could play this way, I've never heard any of their
students do anything but bang...not sure what's up with that.

  - George Winston...really is a pussycat.  Yes, he plays hard.  Yes,
he has a complicated rider.  I think there's a fair amount of
discussion about George in the archives.  The mutes are placed as
much for voicing as for tuning; and are not necessarily intended
derogatorily.  If he's not happy, you'll know it quite directly.  I'd
say that if you got smiles and a CD or two, everything's
roses.  (...tip of the hat...)

  - Someone (Ed?) said something about comparing different pianos, I
think...I probably have that wrong, but it reminds me of a
conversation that I had some time ago with Peter Goodrich, who was
still in the service department at S&S.  He and I happened to be
wandering around a NAMM show and listening to a number of
pianos...some of which were really quite outstanding.  Later that
day, we were talking about how the different instruments compared,
and he said something along the lines of while there were obviously
times and places for which a given piano might be better than a
Steinway, the advantage that a Steinway (particularly the NY) has is
that it is/can be the most tonally versatile, and so, has the best
chance of sound the best it can in a variety of environments.  On the
one hand, that's clearly painting with a fairly wide brush.  On the
other, all things being equal (which, of course, they never really
are...but, just go with it for a moment), I think that the case can
be made...if we're realistic about what we're asking.  I'm not
suggesting that a piano set up for the Chandler Pavilion at the LA
Music Center (3500 seats and designed as a television/radio studio)
should be immediately dropped into a 250 seat hard-surfaced Jr. High
auditorium and be expected to sound fabulous.  However,
double-checking the closures on my Hoffsommer Mark V Flame Suit, I am
suggesting that S&S still has a wider edge of musically acceptable
versatility than most when it comes to using the same instrument in a
fairly wide diversity of acoustic and musical environments.

  - Susan noted comparing her tuning to others, and basically
doesn't.  For me, this really quickly gets into the area of walking a
mile in someone else's moccasins.  There are simply too many
variables for these comparisons to mean much to begin with, let alone
anything faintly resembling a concert setting.  On the one hand,
while I go to lots of concerts and don't very often hear pianos that
I like very much, I try (with greater or lesser success) to keep in
mind that I'm not the person who's trying to deal with whatever.  We
discuss these kinds of things ad nauseam on the lists, but I'm not
sure that we always maintain an awareness that whoever the other
technician might be, whatever their gifts, or lack thereof, they are
human, too...  So, being at least more comfortable when dealing with
those neuroses with which I am most familiar, I try to cut other
folks some slack.

  - Oh...yes...stability...a real can of worms.  So, let's heat
things up a bit by suggesting that if manufacturers were truly
interested in things like evenness of scales, tuning stability,
projection, etc, etc, etc...they'd all be building laminated
soundboards...they really don't have to sound like
Storey-Tones....Some of you have even heard that for yourselves.

Cheers.

Horace