[CAUT] Toughest piece

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Fri Nov 12 09:48:00 MST 2010

Hi, Brent,

Really great to see you back in action!  WooHoo!

At 06:39 AM 11/12/2010, you wrote:
>Hi Horace,
>
>    Thanks for the post.

Most welcome...It seemed a reasonable way to work out the mental
kinks after a day of entirely too much "match" tuning on unmatchable
pianos...feh.

>  Did you incorporate the induction method while
>flame hardening? If so can you post the details.

I didn't; but suspect that some have.  I've recently been shown a
method of preparing for the hardening that looks like it would not
only substantially improve the end result, but would also cut the
learning/experience curve by a large margin.  Keeping the flame at a
fairly acute angle to the work is the key.

>Some quench with oil,
>your method?

No quenching, but would play with that some if I had more time.

>Tig is really hot, was it trickier for you than the flame method?

Yup.  At the end of the day, before I switched to old-fashioned gas,
I wound up taking plates to someone who worked pretty exclusively
with various kinds of cast metals.

There's also a really, really cool method that I learned a long time
ago from an old railroad boiler maker...but, it involves having a
gas-fired hotbed large enough to heat the whole plate...not enough
for welding, but just enough to allow hardening through brute-force peening.

>Flame suit, don't worry about it.

Thanks!

>For example, European instruments can
>be just as versatile in the context of their dynamic range, it's just that
>range for most breaks up quickly at anything above mezzo-forte.

Precisely my point.  I do love 'em; and, FWIW, in researching other
things, have discovered that a fair number of very well-known artists
(albeit it many of them from previous generations) recorded mostly on
instruments whose names started with "B", even if they were (largely)
fanatical about playing "S" pianos when in public.  There's a
doctoral thesis in there somewhere for someone...truly fascinating stuff.

That said, I'm also keenly aware that, for a very long time now,
many/most of the "B"-word pianos that make it into the states have
been "pre-voiced for the American market".  On the one hand, that's a
direct quote from a long-time importer of "B"-word instruments from a
conversation we had at a NAMM show a long time ago.  On the other,
the larger context of that conversation was precisely on point for
this discussion.  My own experience with instruments purchased in
Europe and brought over by private parties was that, very
consistently, they sounded very different from what I was hearing
(and, continue to hear) coming out of new stock on showroom floors.

>About agraffes, I'm inclined to fit a Steinway with the Bosendorfer
>style that has the horizontal pin embedded in it.

Yes, I've done that, too; and liked the results very much.  From a
standpoint of traditional visual aesthetics, it's definitely an
easier "sell", so far; and, certainly acoustically, it's by and large
superior to stock.  On the other hand, so far, I think that tonally,
I prefer the termination and ease of tuning of the plated
agraffe.  I'm also wondering about if/how the plating electroless
process might/might not affect the hardness of the agraffe, itself;
but am leaving following that adventure for folks with more
engineering training.

Best.

Horace