[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Fri Nov 12 09:59:47 MST 2010

Hi, Fred,

At 08:35 AM 11/12/2010, you wrote:
>On Nov 12, 2010, at 1:44 AM, Horace Greeley wrote:
>
>>Thus, while the simple fact is that they don't know what they don't
>>know; and, since they don't know it that, knowing it wouldn't help.
>

>Hi Horace,
>         Great post!

Thanks!

>I am still trying to parse the above sentence, though
><G>. I think it is an expansion of something Plato reported Socrates
>said, which is very apropos (another paraphrase is that knowing what
>you don't know is the beginning of knowledge - or wisdom, depending on
>how you translate the Greek terms).

Bingo!

Completely OT, part of why we have such a problem with translating
Greek (into almost anything else) is that the language reflects the
philosophical mind of the culture.  For Greeks of Plato's and
Socrates' time, the language was still very much one that spoke in
conceptual terms, not concrete.  Roman Latin, on the other hand, is
highly structured, ruled by rules (as it were), and (as with English)
simply does not have a sufficiently effective vocabulary to do much
more than transliterate some of the less esoteric concepts which
Greek breathes like air.  This is not to say that one is "better"
than the other...rather that the languages reflect the cultural
philosophy (part of what used to be called ethnology) from which they
spring...so, it's largely an issue of "seeing" the same base
"object", but conceptualizing the understanding of it
differently...which leads to:

>In practical terms, it comes down
>to a degree of humility and an openness to the notion that (in the
>case of the "concert pianist") the fact that one is excited and
>passionate while playing does not necessarily translate to one's
>audience in a positive way. That you actually need to listen to the
>piano you are playing and what sounds are coming out of it to be a
>musician, as opposed to a virtuosic freak.

Yup...and, the piano in the environment, considering the literature,
blahblahblah...

Or...looking at this from a more Hellenistic perspective, one has to
get out of Plato's cave before one can get "into the sunlight" of
larger understanding...otherwise, all is shadow.

>But that is just one
>person's point of view. <G>

...with which view, I happen to agree.

Best.