[CAUT] concert surprise

mick johnson mickjohnsonrpt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:15:25 MST 2010

 I had to tune for a concert this weekend. A pretty big rock name in the
80's-90's. I arrived to tune the house piano before load in. The piano was
sitting alone at the front of the stage - a very tired Baldwin D with
original everything. Old worn hammers, dead tubby bass strings, loose bridge
pins and false beats galore. I did my best and got it sounding as good as
it's condition would allow, resting assured that the band most likely would
drown out the remaining ugliness.
 I return before the show to tune again after the sound check and what do I
find on stage? Just the piano. And a microphone stand. Acoustic show. Heavy
sigh.
--
Mick Johnson, R.P.T.
University of Nebraska, Kearney