[CAUT] Toughest piece for piano stability?

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Mon Nov 15 14:16:45 MST 2010

Hi, Alan,

At 09:22 AM 11/15/2010, you wrote:
>Enjoyed your post.

Thanks.

>  Regarding these agraffes, where does one purchase these?

I'm not sure.  I used to get them from Bosendorfer, but used up the
last of that supply a year or so ago and haven't really looked
since.  Brent might know.

>  And for that matter, is there a third-party supplier of pinned agraffes?

Not sure...maybe Jurgen or Jahn.  I don't think anything like that
has been made in the U.S. since the middle of the 19th Century, and
then only as pilots and/or for patent purposes.  Del might know more
about that part...wish Harold Conklin were still with us, I'm sure he
could shed some light, too.

In terms of the electorless nickel plating:  What I've done so far
is, I admit, not terribly scientific.  I get appropriate agraffes,
polish them in a tumbling rock polisher until they sparkle plenty
(thanks to those who pick that one up), and then take them to
whatever plater is willing to play with small lot jobs that don't pay
very well.

In the SF Bay area, there are a couple of places which have done this
with good results:

http://www.eps-plating.com/

http://www.electro-coatings.com/

If I were doing production rebuilding the way some on this list do, I
might look for places outside CA for this kind of work.  The CA
version of the EPA (and, especially the five counties around the Bay)
have exceptionally strict (and very expensive) controls on this kind
of processing, so the costs aren't low.  On the other hand, the fact
that firms like this are active here also means that the business is
sufficiently lucrative for them to stay.

In any event, as we so often discuss on this list, if you want
quality work, you have to pay for it...

Sorry I can't be of more help with the pinned agraffes.  I'm sure
someone else will have better answers.

Best.

Horace