[CAUT] pinned agraffe

Bob Hohf rhohf at centurytel.net
Mon Nov 15 18:20:18 MST 2010

It seems to me that this discussion is missing the intention behind pinned
agraffes.  If terminating the vibrating string with steel were the intent,
wouldn't it be simpler to make the whole thing out of steel? And wouldn't a
steel termination defeat the purpose of using brass in agraffes, since brass
is "lubricious" in contact with steel strings? I bought a set of pinned
agraffes from Renner Stuttgart that I intended to use to replace solid brass
ones in a Bosendorfer I was rebuilding.  After close inspection of the
pinned ones, I decided to re-install the originals.  In most of the pinned
agraffes I have, the steel pin does not make the termination, but appears to
be backing up or reinforcing the relatively soft brass.  However, in a
number of them, the steel pin has broken through the brass creating some
nasty-looking brass burrs that would be sure to buzz on the string.  My take
is that the pinned agraffes are a good idea that but are too difficult to
manufacture with enough consistency.

Bob Hohf

  _____