[CAUT] pinned agraffe

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 17:20:52 MST 2010

Extraordinarily fair reply, Don. Particularly your last paragraph.

Paul

In a message dated 11/16/2010 10:23:36 A.M. Central Standard Time,
dmannino at kawaius.com writes:

I think there could be some  tonal effect from making the top of the
agraffe more rigid, but the weak  points in agraffes are usually at the sides,
next to the holes, or at the top  of the stem where it meets the agraffe head.
So I don’t think this  design was done for any strength benefit by having a
steel rod in the  top.   I am pretty sure it is done for a brighter tone
and more  sustain by having the string contact a hard straight rod instead of
being  trapped in a round hole of a (relatively) softer  material.
The steel rod is much harder  than a capo bar, so there is no comparison
tonally.  I agree with an  earlier post that it does no good for the strings
to bear against hard steel –  flattening / deformation of the wire is
generally not desirable  imho.
Agraffes are made (or should  be) with enough precision that one can drill
a hole from the side that just  intersects the top of the string holes.  And
of course  this will  create room for the string to be moved side to side,
plus I can see how it  could easily create burrs.  The widened contact area
could be seen as a  benefit, especially if you have poor felt cutters
working on your damper wedge  felt J.  I don’t mind having a little more fudge
room  for string spacing, as even normal agraffes allow a little side to side
scootching.  This change of the shape of the string termination, along  with
the hard material, is what leads to the tone change I  think.
I certainly agree, after  having tried them out here and there, that the
affect is not something I  personally like.  The tonal change is not
dissimilar to doing Wapin  bridge pinning, at least to my ear – brighter and thinner
tone with a little  more sustain.  If that’s what you are looking for then it
’s fine, so  those companies that use them are undoubtedly getting what
they want from  them.
Finally, a treatise could be  written discussing all the different ways to
terminate the speaking length and  how each would affect the tone.  The
combination of materials and  termination styles can be chosen to end up with
the tone (and price of the  piano) wanted.  Tone will be affected by the
bridge cap material; bridge  pin size, material and angle; distance of the bridge
pin from the edge of the  bridge; capo bar shape, material and hardness
(alloy and hardening processes  both affect tone); agraffe material, shape and
thickness; material and  distance of counter bearings, angle of string
deflection, etc. etc.  So I  wouldn’t agree it’s right to look at one design
feature like this agraffe and  say it’s ‘bad,’ just  “I don’t like it.”
Don  Mannino
=