[CAUT] Baldwin D bridge

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 16 18:34:15 MST 2010

On Nov 16, 2010, at 12:35 PM, McCoy, Alan wrote:

> The top bridge section is notched normally, with the notch parallel
> to the capo.

In the Steinway version, an interesting feature is the duplex bars,
that are set up to be parallel to the notching. Baldwin did that on
the cheap (looking at your photo), slanting individual duplex bars for
each unison.
	The one I service regularly, I find no particular issue tuning those
unisons. It happens to be an instrument that was rebuilt under the
theory of "increase downbearing as much as you can when you can," so
the plate was set considerably lower (new block sits 3 mm lower than
remains of the old, as one piece of evidence), and the sustain is as
near zero as I have heard on a D. So maybe that is why I have no
trouble with the unisons: they don't last long enough to be
objectionable. More than one way to skin any cat <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel