[CAUT] Teflon Bushings

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Nov 24 16:32:16 MST 2010

>... the cost of a good set of knuckles is not hugely different than
>the s/f assembly itself. When you factor in the difficulty of
>hanging a very accurate knuckle line I think you're better off with
>new s/f's.

The knuckles I salvaged from a new set of h/s/f I replaced on a
rebuilt piano. The other tech hung hammers which were too short, at
about a 3+ degree pitch back placing the hammer center at 5" from the
flange center. The knuckles on that mess were not pressed in well and
most of them stood above the shank like a lollypop.  So I also have a
set of shanks/flanges about 3mm shorter than spec without knuckles,
any takers?

But mostly I don't move the knuckles to save money, I do it because I
can. Getting a nice knuckle line is not that difficult. I press them
in with a caul to the same height.  I have a small chop saw to make
the kerf.

http://tinyurl.com/o479d5

Anyone can replace shanks, knuckle relocation is a goos skill to have
and practice.
--

Regards,

Jon Page