[CAUT] F..riction

McCoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Mon Nov 29 16:00:31 MST 2010

Given that I live in a dry climate, maybe excessive humidity is not the problem, or maybe it is dryness. I have noticed this effect on every teflon piano I have worked on (after having done the requisite key work, etc) and some I haven't worked on (just being curious enough to see if they exhibited the same phenomenon). I have taken the flanges off the rail, repinned and used a gauge (Correx and spring) and witnessed it as well (high initial resistance then ...boom...gone). As always it is difficult to isolate just one part of the system, so maybe David is correct in saying that it is all the other issues - geometry, heavy parts - that are the problem, rather than the teflon. Still it is curious to me that I haven't observed quite as much difference in initial resistance compared to moving resistance in wool bushed parts as I do in teflon bushed parts.

Alan