[CAUT] Friction (was F..riction)

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Nov 30 10:09:40 MST 2010

Cy,

Indeed. Steinway says "Near zero gram reading can function well in some bushings... However if wobbling is present during travel (excessive side play) check..." parts, damaged bushings etc.

I've always (at least the last 10 years or so) repinned to 4-5 grams and it has seemed to improve control, AND it seems to improve tone! When we do our anechoic chamber experiments next year this is one thing I want to test. (David S., how about a few of those adjustable flanges?)

Fred's comments fly in the face of this. His skills as a pianist, combined with his superb technicians skills, nearly always make his comments more than idle speculation; he's usually right.

One good thing about this talk; if Fred is correct then I'll save a lot of time NOT repinning new Steinways!

Jim Busby

<<<<It seems that a goal of the Permafree bushing is to allow a more
secure hammer-flange mechanical connection (e.g. as measured with the
flange on its side on the edge of a bench, moving the hammer up and
down against the "ears" of the flange), but still having low friction
(because otherwise a tighter flange means higher friction).>>>>

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM

www.shusterpiano.com