[CAUT] F..riction

Zeno Wood zeno.wood at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 12:11:35 MST 2010

It was easier to play the expressive pianissimo on the pianofortes and
fortepianos of yesteryear, as those were quieter instruments.  Perhaps as
pianos got louder and louder and the hammers got heavier and heavier,
pianists needed to have the friction thrown in to enable pianissimo playing
on instruments that were primed to play loud.

-Z