[CAUT] F..riction

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Nov 30 21:58:22 MST 2010

There are probably many things that one can let go of if you are boiling it
down to essential versus non essential.  Friction in the flange may be
something that is less important than some other thing but then the same
argument could be made for trying to achieve a uniform balance weight,
smooth strike weight, lead pattern that is more located more toward the
balance rail or any other refinement that while not in and of itself being
the make or break issue, collectively contribute to a better performing
action.  But the conversation wasn't really about how to prioritize, it was
whether flange friction is a component of touchweight dynamics that can make
a difference even if it might not be something that jumps out at you as
obvious when you put your fingers on the key.  That's true of most things.
When I sit down and noodle around on a piano, assuming nothing is grossly
off the scale, I can't tell you whether the strike weight curve is smooth,
the balance weight is uniform, the friction is consistent, nor can I tell
the relative contributions of weight versus friction, at least not without
some measurement verification.  But put two pianos side by side in which one
action has meticulously paid attention to all these details versus one that
is basically in the ballpark (assuming equal regulation) and I can certainly
tell the difference.  Similarly, put two actions together in which one has 3
grams of friction in the flange and the other has 0 I could probably feel a
difference as well--I had a recent experience with a customer in which that
very thing turned out to be a significant source of dissatisfaction.
Granted, some pianists may prefer the very low friction feel while others
may not (I think I tried to make that point earlier along with the fact that
some pianists don't seem to notice much that is wrong with their actions)
but the merits of trying to achieve a certain level of flange friction are
worth discussing, it seems to me, because they do impact performance both in
terms of feel and in terms of tone.  I think both of those have been amply
demonstrated.  So just as uneven flange pinning resulting in uneven friction
through the action would be undesirable, one can make an argument for
uniform friction at some level other than zero as a desirable target
yielding palpable results.  How one chooses the level of friction might very
well depend on things like action leverage and strike weight (as Don Mannino
suggested), repetition spring consequences and the like.  But even though
flange friction is essentially a moving target (just like tuning and
voicing) I still believe it's worth addressing along with the necessary
compensations that those choices entail.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com