[CAUT] Bridge root material

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 10:12:42 MDT 2010

I'm redoing an upright. One of those Shimmells that is all plate and the
size of a spinet. The bridge root is oak. Now I'm curious about the
difference between maple and oak as a bridge root. Your ideas gentlemen,
please.

On another note, those pianos have no back posts. The ribs are crowned. I
was able to insatll a nicer cutoff bar and added a fish. It actually looks
more like a whale. Then I adjusted the rib scale and diaphramed the board.
If Mazzigilia had a plane that would cut the sides of the rib down, that
would be great. I like tall skinney ribs instead wide flat ones. The boom of
the board has very interesting character now. It was BOOM-uh. Now the
boom sustain is rich and has an overtone that sounds like the 12th. It leaps
into the mix a fraction of a second after the main boom. I'm having too much
fun....

Thank you guys for your great discussions, quite the learning experience.
Keith Roberts