[CAUT] when to tune...

Don Mannino dmannino at kawaius.com
Thu Oct 7 11:24:10 MDT 2010

Alan,

Sounds like a deal I did in Dodger Stadium a few years back.  Morning prep was 60 degrees, very humid.  Final tuning was in 80 degrees, direct sun.  Fun part was I helped with the sound check, so I got to play the national anthem in Dodger stadium.  No one yelled "Play Ball" at the end, though.

I think of soundboard changes as being very slow, and in this kind of situation I don't worry about overall soundboard movement.  I think it's all about temperature change and string pitch drift.

Strings will change - what can you do?  Tune the piano in the morning if it is in bad shape, but don't bother to adjust the general pitch level unless it is below pitch when cold.  If it's flat and the temperature is cold, go ahead with a quick pitch raise to 442 or so. Settle the strings over the bridge with hard blows, bed the keyframe, check the action.  Give it a lot of treble stretch.

In the final tuning, mute it up and go through the normal tuning process, but don't get sucked into changing it a lot - just smooth out the bad octaves in the tenor and into the bass, make sure the treble is not nasty out. Then make the unisons as nice as you can.

And by all means, don't be critical of yourself if you hear anything wrong!  There lies an important key to personal happiness: acknowledging our inability to make a tuning perfect under imperfect circumstances.

Have fun!

Don Mannino