[CAUT] when to tune...Avant revisited

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Oct 7 16:24:28 MDT 2010

Cool!  Or warm...whatever!

I think this situation was why our Director purchased this Avant Grand.  I
tried to tune in the 90 degree sun last summer and stopped half way
through saying, "this will never do"  It wasn't even our piano, but a
rental from the local Yamaha dealer.  I think this is what started the
whole Avant Grand thing.

Perhaps Yamaha will get a niche for this kind of thing,...I dunno.  It's
still a pain to move.  Our opera set builder and I are collaborating to
design a piano truck for this 4' long piano.  The best I could find was
something to fit a 4'9" grand.  I have some spare truck parts  so we
figgur...he'll design and patent the truck, I'll patent and build the
"wedge" thingy, and we'll retire in a couple years!! LOL.

I will say that for a digital grand with a "real" action inside, it plays
better than any other digital I've ever played.  IMHO, it still sounds
like a really nice digital piano.  Sorry guys, that's just my opinion. I
guess it's just the "purist and bias in me".  It will "fool" 90% of the
crowd listening in lots of cases, but I wouldn't be putting on our main
stage as a concert piano.  Probably the best place to concentrate sales
would be very electronic recording studios, outside events, old folk
homes, and digital arts professors in major universities. Our's is very
excited to work with it, can plug it into him computer systems and on he
goes!  I wish him the best!.

Paul'