[CAUT] Harpsichord popping strings

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Oct 11 15:58:48 MDT 2010

Hi,

I'll show my ignorance here because I only have 4 harpsichords, and only one transposes, but don't all "transposing" harpsichords go from A440 down to A415, and then also to A392? I've always thought that A415 was basically to accommodate German period instruments and the A392 to accommodate French composers and the corresponding instruments . (Lully, Couperin, etc.) Do most transposing keyboards only go down one note? What about the French? (Please don't answer that <G>) And is the "upper" always A440?  You harpsichord guys cut me some slack here. This is certainly something a CAUT should know.

Thanks.

Jim