[CAUT] Harpsichord popping strings

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Oct 11 16:38:07 MDT 2010

Oui.

Thanks!
jim

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of David Doremus
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 4:22 PM
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Harpsichord popping strings

  Hi Jim,

I don't know if three way transposing is the norm now or not, I remember
two as being more common. The idea is that the instruments were
originally scaled to a lower pitch and weaker wire so to get them in
tune with modern instruments the keyboard was simply shifted to the
treble one or two notes. To keep the full range that modern players
like, this requires adding a couple of notes at the top, or losing notes
if the scale is kept original. Does that make sense? It's just a way of
playing the instrument a half or whole step higher while preserving the
original scale length and string tensions. Don't think of it as moving
down, think of it as moving up to accommodate modern pitch. Upper and
lower manuals are the same at 8' pitch, an octave higher at 4' pitch.
Did I help at all, or is it just more mud in the water?

--Dave