[CAUT] Harpsichord popping strings

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 12 12:52:34 MDT 2010

Ron is correct, if anyone knows what is a reasonable break% for a
harpsichord, or more precisely, a harpsichord in institutional
circumstances, which rarely provide adequate care for the more delicate
instruments.

Perhaps someone could write a document on guidelines for selection and care
of neglected institutional harpsichords. This would not be the same as
guidelines for a fine, privately owned and maintained harpsichord.

Meanwhile, since the greatest string stress is always at the tuning pin
section, due to friction at the front bearing points, it would probably help
to place a tiny drop of ProLube on the nut and front pins where the strings
bear on them.

Ed Sutton