[CAUT] scaling a Tyre harpsichord?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jan 5 07:34:42 MST 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> But, as a very long-winded thread a while back demonstrated/
> illuminated, the notion that thinner wire is less likely to break
> for a given length and pitch is not very accurate. If there are
> differences, they are small and unpredictable.

	Just to amplify the above: As I understand it, after lengthy
conversation on this list with the good Herr Nossaman, once you have a
string length and target pitch, as long as you use the same material
(low-carbon steel wire, for instance), from the point of view of
string breakage it doesn't matter what gauge you use. Increase the
diameter, and the tension will go up, but the strength of the wire
goes up pretty nearly exactly proportionally. Decrease the diameter,
and the tension goes down, but the strength goes down pretty nearly
exactly proportionally. Bottom line, if an instrument is breaking
strings, don't look for the answer in a magic stringing scale. The
scale certainly matters, as it affects the overall tension and the
tone quality. But to change string breakage, you need to either change
pitch (lower from 440 to 415, for instance) or change material
(stronger type of brass or steel, or shift from brass to steel).
Changing material will also change tone, along with changing string
breakage.
	For these reasons, if you have an instrument that is likely to have a
rational scale (made by a reputable maker, not a kit that may have
been put together a bit carelessly), you should look elsewhere for the
cause of string breakage: corrosion, angles from the nut to the tuning
pin, wires crossing on tuning pin wraps, and the like.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm