[CAUT] scaling a Tyre harpsichord?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jan 5 10:08:49 MST 2011

You know, that room does indeed have gigantic humidity swings.  I have
waited too long a couple of times in the early summer and it was easily
100 cents sharp.  It has a closed bottom, so I can't put a DC in it.
Unfortunately, it's the best location for the instrument...it's also a
pipe organ room and very small recital room.

If this is the cause, I don't think rescaling or restringing the whole
thing is really going to help.  Careful monitoring more often after
school's out in May could be the best fix.  Of course, the remaining
strings that haven't yet broken will probably continue to break over time.

Good food for thought!

Paul