[CAUT] Steinway verdigris

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 7 17:38:55 MST 2011

I don't want to imply that I don't service Steinways that have
verdigris-era parts in them. Quite the contrary. In fact, I just
installed a set of new hammers with shanks and flanges in an S from
1936 over the old wippens. There's enough friction in the wippen
flanges to be noticeable, but the budget would not allow new wips. So
the owner understands that the result is limited by the old parts.
He's delighted in the result, but partly because he does not expect
new-piano performance from the action. Just very nice old-piano. I
like to be clear on whose problem it is, that's all, and what's
reasonable to expect.

Then, too, the amount of excess friction in the "verdigris-ed" centers
varies considerably from era to era and from piano to piano. Some
wippen flange centers are remarkably functional, others hardly work at
all even with lubrication. It seems clear to me that the environment
plays an important role here in accelerating or delaying the chemistry.

As always, a judgement call. But not really something to apologize for.

Doug